Friday, October 29, 2010

Introduction of Self

An introduction of self
Born a daughter of souls whose presence in their time illuminated and inspired the communities they embraced and enjoyed. I am blessed to continue to be an observer and beneficiary of those who continue to inspire and motivate such communities with positive reflection and forward movement.
I am…
With so many ways to complete this sentence I shall attempt not to bore but to summate in order to provide a better understanding of the person behind the words.  Born 30 years ago to parents whose similarities begin and end with their awesome fortitude for loving and experiencing life, the importance of family, a passion for the arts,  great food, better conversation, great music and endless dancing! My mother is a spiritualist who has found her souls’ belongs in embracing and living out the beliefs of her African and Native American ancestors. She is a traditional African priestess whose multi-cultural approach to spirituality and the journey of life has developed within me a holistic viewpoint off life and a strong foundation for living and promoting cultural and spiritual awareness. My father a Creole through and through is an actor/comedian whose relationships choices continue to be a great conversation piece for developing my advice giving skills! A spiritual man himself, though his is rooted in Christianity, has overcome severe addictions to become a great example of determination and dedication to consistently striving towards being the best you can be in life despite so pretty tough hurdles.
During my father’s time slightly absent from me I was raised in part by my grandfather Delfeayo Ferdinand. Encompassing everything I continue to love in a man, my grandfather refused not to be a leader. Despite not having a traditional education he became one of the accomplished carpenters in the city of New Orleans. From the beginning he instilled in me a propensity for independence, determination, and in some cases downright stubbornness!  Passionate about jazz my grandfather taught me at an early age to appreciate the soul of the music which would reverberate from speakers on the porch every Saturday and Sunday despite some complaining from neighbors… he could give a damn what they thought! As he would say “The bastards need some culture too! Lol… gotta love him.
So that leads to me … I am a daughter, mother, friend, culturalist, spiritualist, and Music Enthusiast. I was initiated into traditional African priesthood at the age of 15 and resided in the oldest African Village in North America from the age of 10 until 16. After giving birth to my son 3 months before my 16th birthday I moved back into the world continuing high school in Georgia before heading back to my first home and first love… New Orleans. Growing up in two completely different environments mine can be an interesting viewpoint which sometimes can be delivered too firm and directly for some but hey I figure like it or not atleast you know where I’m coming from!
So what is this blog all about? Simply put my reflections on life, whatever they are on that day. I’m a born observer. People watching seems to be as much of an involuntary function of my body as breathing. I’ve always been intrigued by the decision making process of others, the faces they hold firm towards the world and the relational dynamics they accept within their lives. This blog will be all encompassing ranging from topics of spirituality, cultural awareness and development, music, history, herstory, astrology, health and nutrition, relationships, racial issues, education, parenting, world news, and politics. It is meant to be an interactive forum to promote conversation that produces growth and forward movement! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment